Is Fibromyalgia Hereditary?

NewLifeOutlookNewLifeOutlook New Life Outlook
edited October 2014 in Cause

imageIs Fibromyalgia Hereditary?

Genetics can make some people predisposed, or more susceptible, to developing fibromyalgia, but predisposition, but there are also many other factors.

Read the full story here

Comments

• My mother had fibromyalgia and she suffered so much because it wasn't diagnosed until she was sent to the Mayo Clinic in her 40s. My sister and I both have it. Thank goodness my mother worked for a young, informed doctor who recognized her symptoms. He was able to diagnose both of us. Of course now there is so much more known about it. I am on 4 different meds, as is my sister. We both still suffer but it us so much less than our mother. Also, I know our grandfather, our mother's father, had it. Looking back we feel awful because we used to say he was a hypochondriac.
  • I was adopted and stayed in the hospital or somewhere for 3 months until I was adopted. That was in L.A. county hospital. I've had fibromyalgia all my life . So maybe that's how I got it ? I was scared that my children would get it , but they are now 38 , 36 , and 26 and so far so good they did not get it !
  • I wrote an article on how it feels to have fibromyalgia, and the things you should never say to someone with fibro. Check it out at debbiesjourneytohealthandhope.com I've had an earache for a month. I went to my GP and he gave me antibiotics. It didn't help. BTW I have never had an earache in my life. I had know idea it feel like someone was sticking a straight pin in your eardrum! Ouch! I went to an eye, ear, nose, and throat doctor. I have a serious case of thrush going on and blisters on my lips. He said I didn't had have thrush... If it is he'd never seen it this bad. He gave me a colloidal silver ointment to put on my lips but nothing for the thrush. My ears checked normal as did my nose. He said this earache could definitely be caused by fibromyalgia... I had no idea...
  • I have my Mother's body and all her idiosyncracies as we called them growing up.. Looking back... I KNOW she had fibromyalgia...
  • My parents didn't have it but a lot of my cousins do on my dads side of the family. I can't get diagnosed and suffer so bad everyday. They sent me to a pain clinic it helps but sometime I hurt thru my meds. Seems to come worse when the weather changes.
  • I have fibromyalgia also. I don't mention it to my doctors very often, because of the stigmatism associated with the condition...you know, "it's all in our heads". Anyway, when I had a hysterectomy (spelling?), my uterus had overgrown into my hip muscles. I bled so much each month and never told anyone. My doctor said that people whom this happens to, usually have fibromyalgia. Then I told him I was sure I had it.
  • @Debra_Greene Hi! My birth mother hid her pregnancy of me so I'm sure there was trauma to me in utero. Also,my birth was very stressful for us both, I was failure to thrive and my right arm was shorter than my left. I was placed in Catholic Charities orphanage for four months. My beloved parents adopted me regardless and within four months my mom fattened me up and I was healthy; so to speak. I suffered terribly during childhood from chronic ear infections. Anyway,I'm sharing this with you because u mentioned u were adopted too. I was fortunate enough to have met my birth motherback in the 1990's. I wish I'd asked her more about her medical history and issues. Moreover, really wish I'd asked her about her pregnancy with me and my birth. But, it seemed like a very painful topic for her and I didn't want her to relive it. She was so elated we found each other and that I accepted her, we never seem to delve deeper into those topics. Looking forward to your reply. :)
  • @KarenA I had a hysterectomy at 32 and was told that my uterine lining was growing into the uterine muscle causing blood pockets. At 37 I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis and FM. Dad has PA and mom has FM. I think that's a good indication of genetics
  • I was diagnosed 5 years ago with Fibromyalgia. O have tried Lyrica, and Cymbalta, these made me crazy. I am now taking Gabbepentin and Tramadol. I can't take either during the day it puts me in a fog. During the day I experience a lot of pain. I work in a hospital and have to lift patients. By the end of the day I'm exausted, have a hard time remembering things and I'm cranky. Does anyone have any tips to help during the day?
    For those who spoke about sensory overload, I was never told or read anything on Fibro that included this. First thank you to those who shared. I thought I was crazy. I have a big problem with grocery stores. If too many people are there I have a problem concentrating. Most times I forget what I went in for or if they're too many displays I can't stay long. I find this in big department stores as well. If there are too many people talking too it bothers my ears.
    I get so angry because the hospital that I work for does not recognize Fibromyalgia as a condition. When I see my doctors I try to explain what is happening. They don't care. It's frustrating!
    Thank you all for sharing so much on here. I thought I was seriously loosing it!!
  • @ElaineM It has now been added to list of recognized disabilities with the Dept of Soc Sec. They have to accept it as a disability. I used to be able to go out with friends to loud, full of people places. About 2009, that had to stop. The sensory overload from it all gave me bad headaches, and anxiety attacks. I understand what you are going thru. I am on Oxycodone and methacarbamol. My body will not tolerate high enough doses of Gabapentin to do any good so waiting on approval thru ins for Lyrica. You arent alone in this, and i hope that thought helps.
  • My mother has Fibro, I have Fibro and my daughter has Fibro. Unfortunately, I have many of the health problems that my mom has.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our Newsletter

New Life Outlook on FacebookSubscribe with Facebook

OR