Coping with Fibromyalgia Back Pain

NewLifeOutlookNewLifeOutlook New Life Outlook
edited February 2015 in Symptoms

Fibromyalgia article: Coping with Fibromyalgia Back PainCoping with Fibromyalgia Back Pain

"It’s incredibly painful and can be very debilitating. So how do we cope?" Sarah discusses strategies for coping with fibromyalgia back pain.

Read the full story here

Comments

• I can't seem to find anything to help me new bed and pillow top and all this other stuff for my bed then massages make it worse and my migraines as I just can't get a break
  • Today is a very bad day as the frigid (never ending) temps have me feeling beaten and bruised. The pain meds, heating pad, muscle relaxers and stretching is only providing some lessening of the pain.
    So, since I was unable to go to work today I spent some time researching mattresses recommended for fibro sufferers. Unfortunately the search only left me more unsure. I know I can't afford a sleep number bed but have been thinking about a gel memory foam mattress or topper. I have night sweats frequently so don't want anything that will make THAT issue any worse...what do you all recommend? This back pain has gotten so bad I can't sleep at all...not that I've slept well the past 12 years...but any is better than none!
    Help?
  • I bought flannel sheets and comforter. After a hot shower they feel good. Look into pj
    At pine cone hill. The brushed flannel are really soft and will keep you very warm. I bought a memory foam topper. Have you tried accupuncture
  • My heating pad is my best friend when my back is hurting.
  • Nothing helps my lower back pain. No massages, no exercises, no medications as well as no pillows. When I experience flare-ups, a barely visible lump develops by my coccyx. Pain radiates down my buttoks as well as to my legs.

Has anyone experienced this?

Your suggestion will be thankful:)
  • The only way I can explain how my back hurts is like being kicked in the back or hit with a rubber mallet. When I wake up in the mornings it's like I have been sleeping on rocks with one of those lead cover ups the dentist uses when they take an x-Ray of top of me. I've had several injections and an epidural which none have helped. This was because I had been misdiagnosed with Ankylosing spondylitis. I just recently saw another dr who correctly told me I had fibromyalgia. All my other symptoms fell in line with that too. I am thrilled that I have found this website and that there are others out there experiencing the same things as I am. And I am so sorry for everyone and hope you find the relief that we are all so desperately seeking. God bless.
  • @WinterHurts I purchased a very firm mattress. Big mistake. Made my back hurt worse. Then I bought a foam mattress topper. Too soft and made me sweat. The only thing that helps is just using a normal to medium firm mattress and sleeping on my side with some supporting pillows behind my back to lean back against. Sometime sleeping on the couch will offer that same kind of support. Hope this helps. I also will put a great amount of SalonPas on my back before bed.
  • We recently bought a Temperpedic mattress. They come in different softness so you can get what works for you. They are pricey but if you look at how long a person usually owns a mattress and the comfort it brings it is money well spent.
    I sleep so much better now and so does he. I don't feel if he rolls over or moves around (to a point). I do get night sweats a lot but I understood that they are really common with fibromyalgia and lupus.
  • @Yeni I get low back pain all of the time. I used to go to physical therapy where they had a negative gravity chair. That worked wonders. I think that something similar might relieve the pressure. Anything that would get the shoulders below the hips could relieve the pressure.
    I hope you are feeling better verr
  • I tried it but it did not help. Thanks for sharing your information. I am very thankful for that:)
  • Well, I've had fibro, since 1987. A long time. Exercise, stretching, also arthritis pool exercises really helped. When I moved its a half hour away. So I can not go. Now I have no relief. A bath does not help.
    Like a lot of people now a days we can't afford healthy foods and wreck center fees. Even the gas to the y. I've had two surgeries on back. Need another. But one Dr. Says no more. One says need it. Who knows. With everything my fibro. Is crazy.
    Signed: feeling depressed.
  • I have had fibromyalgia 13 years on top of it I have Degenerate Disk Disease I have had a major back surgery in 2008 which seemed to make things worse with the back pain now I have severe pain that goes from my right hip down my right leg my right hip is where they took a piece of bone and put it in my L5 where the disk was once at I have tried everything for pain including pain management for 11 years getting injection from my love back to my neck plus pain pills and muscle relaxers nothing seems to really help the pain go it just makes it where I can bare living life in pain I can only sleep on my left side with pillows between my legs is there anything else I may consider trying to cope
  • My massage therapist is wonderful! I cannot stand "soft, light" touch. It feels like you are peeling my skin off. She does a deeper (not too deep) massage and it's about the only thing that gives me some relief. I would go at least twice per week if I could afford it.
  • In an effort to get off my medications I am currently using supplements from a wellness.company. They back all their products with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. They have won many awards and been in business thirty years debt free. One thing people do not always realize is the importance of first and foremost getting toxins out of your home. Your skin is your largest organ and it is damaging in so many ways when we come in contact with and inhale toxins from our cleaners, laundry supplies, and even make-up. If anyone would like more information feel free to email me at frogline62@aol.com. You might put fibromyalgia in the subject line so I know it is not spam mail.
    You all have my deepest sympathy. This is such a debilitating disease that some well meaning family and friends just cannot understand. That frustration just aggravates the symptoms even more as stress is a true enemy for us! Wishing you all the best.
  • @KristyD Thanks Kristy, I have never been able to explain how it feels like when you wake up, but when I seen that you explained it like the lead cover when getting dental xrays, I knew that was it. I always explained it like I was totally numb, but could move. Weird feeling.
  • @Frogline_62 I have various conditions that require me to take medications but in addition to that, I am taking supplements that have helped. My pain has been reduced to 60% from 100% for the CRPS, Arthritis, Scoliosis, as well as the Fibromyalgia. I still have flare ups, but not as often.

My prescriptions are:
    Lamotrigine and Gabapentin.

My supplements are:
    Siberian Ginseng recommended by a doctor in China. It has greatly improved my energy levels.
    Women's Multivitamins
    Lembril
    Glucosamine, Chondroitin with MSM.
    Vitamin D

I began a tailored detox nutritional program http://nowleap.com/leap/ two weeks ago. I decided to try it to see if it can help. It's very strict but I believe that it will be worth it.
  • I have had fm for about 15 years . Been to drs and they look at me like what. And ask me had bad is the pain. Than after I tell them than they will give me meds. But some do the drugs don't work . And they they try something different. Been to so many drs . I am done . They went to a new dr in other states and he ask me all question and he listened . They was good for me and he spend about an hour in my room . Gave me a new Meds lyrica. And it worked at first . But than stop . It doesn't help that I just found out that I have nevers damage in my lower back and in pain some much I cry at time . Husband help as much as he can . But sometimes I bite back at him , and don't mean too, but I do . He understands my pain and helps as much as he can. He does most of my cleaning now. Because I cant. And if I do boy look out . Pain is so bad that I sit with ice on back. So now I will try an deal,with this pain. And do what I have to do and the rest of the work can wait. And deal with this lower back pain and the fm pain Linda Paul
  • I have back pain, especially after sitting in a relaxed position or sleeping and then unable to get up, sometimes it is just slow, sometimes back spasms take my breath. But in the past few months I have had some episodes of
    SEVERE pain in my left hip. My hips hurt when I am trying to sleep and I have to rotate sides often, but this pain in my hip is different. It is a stabbing totally debilitating pain, and it feels like my hip is out of joint. When it happens, I have been sitting and try to get up and it stops me, I feel like I can let my leg or hip move away from my core. Usually I have to keep my leg near my body, not extend it to walk or it is unbearable! i went to ER after one of these episodes and had x-ray which just showed some avascular necrosis in the hip, but was told to have my GP order MRI to real out muscle involvement. Well my healthcare provider would not approve the MRI until I do a month of PT. I go to GP in 2 days, and this is getting much worse. Doesn't feel strong enough to do anything much less PT!! ANYONE have problems with hips?
  • Danettelw, I mainly had back pain in my sciatic area which is in the middle of your butt cheek. It would be sharp, stabbing pains which would stop my movement. Either getting out of a chair, out of bed or just walking. It turns out I had bulging disc in my back Lumbar area. The pain continued, I lived on pain meds and stayed in bed as much as I could until I had to have surgery. I hope you have found out something by now. Let me know how you are doing.
  • @danettelw Hi! I replied to you in my quote. Hippie you are feeling better by now or at least have some answers.
  • @amroberts9 Thank you for responding and sharing! I am starting PT this week, which my insurance company is requiring before MRI!! I am a little worried that it will hurt it but I will certainly keep you posted! Thanks again.
  • @danettelw pt has really helped me. Sore at first but I kept at it. Pool therapy is the best. Join your local YMCA. They have a great rate for low income. My husband and I both joined for a total monthly rate of 39.00
  • @danettelw Same for me. I have had two epidural injections for the pain. Second one helped greatly. Now with the PT and water therapy, I can see a huge difference.
  • I have known that I have lupus for about 25 years. Lately it seems like I am back at square one. Trying to fit a square peg in a round hole!!! No meds are helping and things seem to be going downhill. I am looking at the symptoms for fibro and am AMAZED!! WOW......I need to get back to the DR.
  • I think I've had fibromyalgia for many years but was diagnosed approximately 5 years ago. I was working at Walmart and was just exhausted. Not the tiredness that sleep helps. I mean totally exhausted, with muscle pain. My primary doctor diagnosed fibromyalgia. He prescribed Cymbalta around 4 years ago. Cymbalta was approved for Fibromyalgia treatment. Although it did relieve some of the pain, I still suffered from fatigue. November 2017 my doctor started me on Green House Herbal Clinic fibromyalgia Herbal mixture, 7 weeks into treatment I improved dramatically. At the end of the full treatment course, the disease is totally under control. No case of fatigue, muscle pain,mood swings, or nervousness. Visit Green House Herbal Clinic official website www. greenhouseherbalclinic .com. I am strong again and able to go about daily activities.‌ This Herbal Formula is Incredible!! My life is back.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our Newsletter

New Life Outlook on FacebookSubscribe with Facebook

OR