Managing Fibromyalgia Night Sweats and Hot Flashes

NewLifeOutlookNewLifeOutlook New Life Outlook
edited February 2015 in Symptoms

Fibromyalgia article: Managing Fibromyalgia Night Sweats and Hot FlashesManaging Fibromyalgia Night Sweats and Hot Flashes

For many people with fibromyalgia night sweats and hot flashes are a common occurrence. Learn more about why and how to manage this frustrating symptom.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Have seen doc this drives me nuts
  • I couldn't believe it when I saw this topic on Hot flashes/night sweats. I have asked so many doctors about this. Way past Menopause so thought a Gyn might have an answer-but no clue. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. Then I saw this and found out it is another symptom of my Fibromyalgia. Good grief ! And yes, I have taken Thyroid pills for over 40 years so don't think that is the issue. I just try to deal with it. Have to take covers off and on all night grrr But it's the best I can do.
  • I am so glad I found this site. I have suspected for several years that Fibro may be what's wrong with me but I cannot get a dr. to diagnose it. The horrible night sweats made me think that there was something wrong with my heart. Drs have run tests on everything and come up with nothing. No one understands the fatigue and pain I feel.
  • I thought my hot flashes and chills were caused from my hormones. I can't take the cold weather anymore. I use to love to sit outside at a bond fire but with my fibro it makes it impossible anymore. I'm 48 years old and have suffered with this for over 20 years.
    I'm glad they have a sight for discussions on fibro because no one truly understands what we go through each day.
  • I have so many of these symptoms. The worst lately is the night and day sweats and cold, bone chilling cold. Fatigue is so hard. Don't want to even move sometimes.
  • I was diagnosed with FM 13 yrs ago and I am 61. Been through everything that has been stated. Have not been feeling well this week and decided to go outside today and work in my flower beds. My head hurts, eyes, shoulders, arms and fingers. I have to make myself get out of my big chair. I started taking hormones 4 mos ago and sweats are gone. I can't eat leafy veggies, processed meats nor spicy foods and I sure do miss my salads and subway sandwiches. I take Mobic, Cymbalta and small mg of Tramadol for sleep.
  • Having to get up and shower and change sheets during the night is really a pain. I wake up with my body, PJ's and sheets soaked with sweat. I also have been on thyroid meds and a million other drugs for other chronic illnesses that I also have. I sleep with just a sheet over me because I use an electric mattress pad to help the low back pain.
  • Bought Smart Silk bedding at Costco 4 weeks ago. NO more night sweats. If it doesn't work they will let you return.
  • I'm so glad I found this site! I've had fibromyalgia for several years now and I'm still learning new things about it! It seems it is an ever changing diseases maybe it just the fact that more doctors are willing to admit it exist and are finding out more every day the things that relate to it. I had no idea my miserable body temp changes could have anything to do with my fibro ! I'm so glad to have found an answer to what is raging in my body. I'm 52 at the moment and have several other health issues but they wouldn't be related to the hot flashes and night sweats. I'm all night half out of the covers half in the covers! I have a fan on my side of the bed set to blow on me trying not to hit my hubby. He's very understanding. He lets me keep our house at 68 degrees if it gets warmer than that I'm dying from too much heat!! It would be so awesome to get this under control! I used to be cold natured, my family wants the old me back
  • I have been suffering for years. Docs started diagnosing this , that & the other. Which in conclusion after years of suffering & feeling like a hypochondriac, I finally found a pain & spine clinic. None of the Drs I have seen have NEVER mentioned anything regarding injections or nerve blocks. He gave me 5 shots total and the next morning I could actually turn my neck & look at my boyfriend to say good morning w/ out excruciating pain streaming down & through my back. I have previously been limited to basically not even getting out of bed since around November due to the high level of pain & almost everything I do increases the pain. Just light housework alone is debilitating. I also have a beautiful 14 year old daughter whom everyday I loose critical time to spend w/ her . Not to mention the depression that has began to set in & feeling of worthlessness due to the pain & sleep issues that are nonstop. So although the shots I received are very short term, the new doc says there are many things he may be ale to do after he reviews my records to date & possibly do more testing . I am feeling some hope for the first time in a long, long time ! I feel like there is a new "me" getting ready to be revealed.... In a good way of course! I am elated & looking forward to the near future to see how much progress will & can be made ! Still I am limited & not pushing myself ... Can't wait to see what the future has in store !!!! Thank you all for sharing your stories I have been reading & helping me feel as though I am not alone or as crazy as my norm! Not looking back & can't wait to move forward ( pun intended) . Actually looking forward to living again!
  • I have a bad sweating problem during the day and night. Was not sure what was going on and talked to Dr about it. We changed a few meds but I still have the problem, night and really bad during the day when I am active. Is this fibromyalgia system for me along with all the rest lots of pain, etc. Thanks
  • I am so happy I ran across this article. I am 37 and was diagnosed in 2009 with fmla and hypothyroidism. I have been wrestling with night sweats no matter what the temperature is. Never knew why I get soooonnn hot at night. Thought maybe early menopause at first. I will b sure to let my Dr. know about this.
  • K I've had fibro for about 2 years, but I've had temperature regulation issues since I was a child... anyone else have symptoms show up that you dealt with "before" diagnosis?
  • I was just finally diagnosed with fibro after 7 years of no one believing me. The Sweats I too turned to menopause questions. One Effexor 150 mg. Prempro (highest dose) but the only small saving grace I still trying to figure out for times of day to take is Nurontin 1800 mg 2 X's a day
    It truly helps... but if I forget to take it with me when I am out and miss a dose (since do ins won't cover time release) but I suggest talking to your dr about it for sure. And the cooling pillow and mattress pad are great for sleeping.

Now a cure would be even better.
  • @ModernUkrainian yes, I told my Dr Mt thermostat has apparently been broken since I was young. To many things make sense now.
  • I have had fibro for 30 years and this is the first i have heard of this. When did they associate sweats with fibro I am curious as I have chronic night sweats for almost as long as I have had the fibro,
  • edited April 2015
    I've been suffering with FMS for almost 14 years now & they're still coming up with syptoms that are caused by it; the latest being the sweats & the inability to control body temperature. All this time I thought it was a separate problem related with early onset menopause (went through it at age 48--not usual for my Mom or sisters). I finally switched from Estrace to Premarin even though I swore I'd never use a drug that was made by by keeping mares pregnant and corralled to collect their urine. But enough was enough. My family suffered because the thermostat had to be kept so low. The Premarin helps some but I'd rather find a cure for the cause instead of treating the syptoms willy-nilly. FMS is one weird disease, striking in horrid life-altering ways. No one believes that one "syndrome" could cause so many disparate symptoms. But it does strike in varied unbearable ways.
    Yet the SSA Disability refuses to believe it's truly disabling. Puh-leeze! You judges & caseworker should live with it for a month with uncaring doctors, disbelieving co-workers and family members who think you're trying to get out of making dinner or cleaning house. I'd love to do those things again--and sometimes when my bipolar disorder leaves me in a manic state I can manage to accomplish quite a bit...that is until the inevitable slide into depression occurs (or a FMS flare pops up telling your body "Whoa Nellie, not so fast. Just what do you think you're doing acting all normal? I'm going to show you what happens when you try to act normal...POW! Right in the kisser! Live with that pain you sniveling coward.)
    And pain becomes your constant companion and your family becomes a distant memory as they go on with their lives, stopping by the bedroom occasionally to say "Hi, Bye, How you doing today? Really? That sucks." Then they're off to live a life you can only dream about in books (especially books about couples having normal sexual relations.) You're like "What? People want to have sex? They can actually have sex without pain and have orgasms & everything? That's truly a fantasy for a woman with Fibromyalgia. Not to mention her long-suffering partner.
    Sounds like fun, eh? Makes you want to go right out and spend your day and your limited energy working for someone else. It kills me, what these SSA Disability judges expect of us. Just a day in my shoes & you'd sing a different tune. It'd be "Nobody knows the trouble I've seen; nobody knows the sorrow." (And the pain, depression, lonliness, agoraphobia, anxiety, tremors, back pain, intestinal distress, constipation, arthritis, memory problems, clumsiness, fatigue, restless legs, insomnia, moodiness, etc., etc., etc.)
    I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy yet thousands upon thousands of people must live with the reality every s ingle day. Pray for us that our suffering might end one day.
  • Arkansas, I agree with you, this dis ease is difficult at least. It has destroyed my life. I never know until I wake up what kind of day it will be. I cannot plan anything, it just gets worse and worse. God help us all.
  • I have sweats all hrs of the day n night. I sleep naked with a fan on. I have to make sure my sheets are pulled tight, no wrinkles on fitted sheet, top sheet loose. much love to all
  • I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 14 years ago (seems much longer), constantly learning new symptoms associated with this. Taking a shower is the worst for me-when I get out of the shower I am soaked for hours! I have NEVER sweat as much as I do now. Itching is another symptom I never related to fibro. "Charley horses" I suspected was fibro but nice to know for sure that this other unbearable symptom has a directive to point to. Like Sue Larson stated-the people I know with fibromyalgia have suffered trauma, PTSD, abuse and are Type A (perfectionist) type personalities. If it wasn't so all imcompasoning painful, it would be fascinating to study and try to figure out. Thank you for your help in continuing education.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our Newsletter

New Life Outlook on FacebookSubscribe with Facebook

OR