Fibro Sensitivity and Pain - NewLifeOutlook | Fibromyalgia

NewLifeOutlookNewLifeOutlook New Life Outlook
edited August 2015 in Symptoms

Fibromyalgia article: Fibro Sensitivity and Pain - NewLifeOutlook | FibromyalgiaFibro Sensitivity and Pain - NewLifeOutlook | Fibromyalgia

Fibromyalgia is well known for causing widespread pain. For some it is a fibro sensitivity to touch, which is known as tactile allodynia.

Read the full story here

Comments

• I am so relieved to know I'm not the only one with this type of pain from fibromyalgia! My skin is so sensitive that even to towel off after a shower is painful. I had a neighbor who needed a ride to a doctor's appointment and she decided to play "Slug Bug"...anyone remember that game? I had told her that my skin was really sensitive and not to touch mebut she didn't believe me or didn't care because she hauled off and popped me a good one on my arm while I was stopped at a red light and I turned on her like rabid dog. She was so surprised at my reaction which was very automatic and she told me to not over react that it wasn't that hard of a "slug". For someone who has no idea how painful it is she couldn't comprehend it. My flare ups feel like really warm, almost hot, water flowing through my veins. I avoid being hugged, or any type of activity that involves contact with anything....it will practically reduce me to tears. What is the most bizarre part of this is that during a flare up I need my space heater on and pointed at my legs. We have had 3 months of triple digit weather and I have my space heater on. Anyway, that's for allowing me to add my 2 cents worth and I apologize for taking up so much space.
  • Great article except for one thing. Instead of using the term "overly sensitive" please use "highly sensitive." Being called "overly sensitive" adds to the negative stigma associated with being highly sensational. People who are highly sensational are now diagnosed as having ADHD, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Sensory Processing Disorder, etc. For most of my life I was put down and bullied for being highly sensational - grow a thicker skin they said - don't be so dramatic - pull yourself up by your bootstraps and stop being so sensitive! they said. People do the same to people with Fibro ... it isn't real, we are making it up, stop being so sensitive. I get you were trying to illustrate a point but that point can be made without the negative stigma attached. Thanks!
  • I really like this writer's great explanation about tactile allodynia (hypersensitivity to touch.) I've noticed that patients who have TA are also very in tune with their own emotions and the emotions of others. They also notice subtle changes in the environment that most people miss and are often very ticklish, hate tags in their clothing and have a heightened sense of taste and awareness. They are usually extremely caring, thoughtful people.
  • I just hate the skin crawling thing, it makes me think something is crawling on me! Ugh, I hate everything about fibro. I just want to be able to function properly. I would love to know what helps. Yes I know sugar doesn't help but I have given up so much I refuse to give up my one drink of soda a day!!!
  • I hope this will help someone. About 2 months ago I started on amitriptyline while giving up splenda and any items that contain splenda.
    The results have been promising. I currently experience less pain and less flare ups. Hoping this continues.
  • I found this so interesting,for many years i have had the same thing happen to me,just a light poke in jest, can make me in tears,its so painful think i will mention it to my doctor next time.what help/medication is available in the UK.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our Newsletter

New Life Outlook on FacebookSubscribe with Facebook

OR