Fibromyalgia and Suicide Risk

NewLifeOutlookNewLifeOutlook New Life Outlook
edited November 2015 in Risks

Fibromyalgia article: Fibromyalgia and Suicide RiskFibromyalgia and Suicide Risk

The link between fibromyalgia and suicide is stronger than you may think. The question is, what can you do to avoid the situation and stay optimistic?

Read the full story here

Comments

• MichaelMichael Member
    edited November 2015
    Here again, we have so-called experts, when there are none, otherwise there would be a cure. And, they speak about
    the connection between Fibromyalgia and suicide; idealization, attempts, successes, and it's just one big joke. If this is true, then why in the fu--ing hell do they prescribe Lyrica for this disease????? Has anyone read the warnings and potential side effects from this crap. Once again, big pharm and the witch doctors who write the scripts for this poison should be hung then drawn and quartered. SUICIDAL thinking is a HUGE side effect from Lyrica. So, if it is a side effect or there's an association betwwen suicide and fibromyalgia, can someone then please tell me why these a-hole Drs are giving people Lyrica??? It is such a fucking joke.
  • AlyssaWinegardenAlyssaWinegarden New Life Outlook
    @Michael Thanks for your comment - we aren't a pharmaceutical company, nor do we promote/prescribe medication. We are simply a community hoping to provide information to fibro warriors to make their lives a bit easier and to assure them that they are not alone :)

-Alyssa
  • @AlyssaWinegarden Hi Alyssa, oh, no. I totally get it. I have had well more than my share of illness over the years. Physically: three pulmonary embolisms, as well as mental health, and was why I was so angry and passionate about Lyrica. They prescribed it to me, but I did as I always do, and that's; before I ingest anything, I am going to Google the heck out of it, and do my research, as to form my own opinion. This medicine should have NEVER been considered for me. It was my cardiologist...who, just maybe, doesn't check his patients charts. But, after I returned home, then read up about this garbage, there was no way I was going to put this in my body.
    Thank you for your response. Michael F.
  • This article brought tears to my eyes. I was diagnosed with FM about 6 years ago & have since read many, MANY articles, done hours & hours of research, and have joined/followed many helpful & supportive Fibro Blogs, all of which I'm extremely grateful for! Your article has covered symptoms, feelings, & even all the helpful advice of how to ease them. But you've taken it a step further, WITHOUT belittling the reality of it all, by reminding us to hold on to hope. Hope is easier found by just the slightest adjustment of our perspective, the way we see our lives.
    Our pain, our struggles, our treatment plans (NO MATTER WHAT THEY MAY BE), haven't been dismissed and they shouldn't be! That alone made me tear up!
    Thank you for sharing and CARING❤️
  • Debbie72Debbie72 Member
    edited March 2016
    I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 10 years ago, and I also hurt my back when I was a nurse in the 80's and damaged my sciatica nerve. I was approved for SS Disability in 2011 after I could barely get out of bed anymore to go to work. This article made me cry, as I can fully understand why some people get to the point where they feel they have no other choice, because the quality of life is so bad! I do yoga, meditate, use essential oils and would like to start doing Ti-Chi again. They all seem to help take some of physical and emotional pain away and makes everyday life more tolerable. I moved from PA to FL over 2 years ago to get out of the bad cold winters, but people who suffer with chronic pain down here with the State drug laws the way they are, we are treated like common criminals when you go for your medicines! Many times you go to the Pharmacy, and they do not even have the medicines in stock and you must wait days to get them, or drive around in pain trying to find somewhere else who can fill your scripts! I even told the people there that if I cannot get my medicines I will go through withdrawals, they told me to go to the ER if that happens. One time my husband did take me to the ER, I took all my medical info and the scripts and they actually laughed at me and told me there was nothing they could do for me!!! My daughter who lives in NY, called the FL State Health Department, and thank God a woman there cared enough and called my Pharmacy and told them they must honor my scripts! They did the next day, when their truck showed up with their shipment!! The withdrawals I had to go through were horrible and I hope to God I will never have to go through that ever again! I thought during the night after coming back from the ER, that I was going to die!!! My family doctor told me with my high blood pressure problems, that I was lucky that I did not have a stroke or heart attack!! I even called a lawyer down here to see if there is something people down here can do legally who suffers with chronic pain disease, and they told me they could not help me!!! Many others like myself have complained, but we are still treated like common drug addicts, and most that I've talked to want to move out of the state, and I am feeling the same way!!!
  • I have attempted Fibro twice since the formal diagnosis in 2000 The first time was because I couldn't bear the pain any more and I couldn't work as a RN anymore. I had no identity. The second time was right after my husband had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's and Parkinson's and he already had prostate cancer. I can't take anti-depressants due to increase suicidal thoughts. I was recently in the hospital with chest pain and very very high blood pressure after being sick with mycoplasma pneumonia since January. During the post hospital visit I was told I couldn't take excedrin migaine for the pain because it would increase my BP. I told the NP that I have take this for years and take lortab for sleep. She told me to take every 6 hours as prescribed and the pain would get under control. I tried it for 2 days with no excedrin and the pain level was so bad I resorted to the excedrine. I messaged the NP and told her I would rather die than endure the pain. BTW my pain level decreased from a 9 to a 5. I take 2 excedrine in am and unless I really over do no more pain meds until bedtime. My blood pressure has remained within normal limits and no chest pain. Just a funny: She said my guaifenisen she thought I was taking for my cough; she had heard in class it could help with fibro class. I told her I had researched it in early 2000 and had been on the protocol for years. I had instructed my Dr on that and Meripax for fibro by providing the research and journeling so she could see the difference.
  • I have had Fibro for 30+ years and I still remember the exact day that it took over my body and mind. I had driven 300 miles with Hubby and Kids (2) to visit my Mother. The minute I got to her house I had to go take a nap. I went to sleep and my body refused to wake. I could hear family talking but could not move my body or even open my eyes. I slept for 3 days and 2 nights and my Mother was super pissed, she thought I came just to have her baby sit the children. I had no idea that was going to happen.
    The most hurtful thing that happened was when my son married and they had a baby. That baby is 2 years old and I am not allowed to spend any time with her alone. They are afraid that I would drop her when she was a baby and I'm still not good enough to have her spend the night here. This breaks my heart because I was allowed to be a grandmother to my daughter's son. This baby doesn't even know who I am. I'm just a person she has to visit a couple time a month. I worked at the high school where my son graduated. All the teachers knew how close we were and just can't believe this outcome. I hate Fibro for taking my life. I have always said "Fibromyalgia won't kill you but it will take your life." Things could have been so different but I was cheated out of my life.
  • PetePete Member
    edited August 2016
    See other message. This saved both.
  • PetePete Member
    edited August 2016
    I've had depression before I was dx'd with FMS in 1992, after a bad car accident. My depressive symptoms have been managed pretty well, although my family and friends still don't understand and see me as a lazy bum who doesn't want to work and won't bother reading any research articles I print out for them. That's life. I have a lot of other medical issues that get their attention more, even though FMS is the underlying killer of them all. I'm also lucky to finally have a physician who takes it seriously and prescribes me Norco and all the other FMS meds, like Neurontin (I prefer that over Lyrica), Cymbalta, Ibuprofen in RX strength and others I can't think of because of the fog.

I don't have much of a life and am really poor on SSDI, which I got on the first try, FOR DEPRESSION. It was much easier to get. Back in 1992 when I was diagnosed, Fibromyalgia wasn't even called that, it was fibrocitis and you can imagine what I went through with doctors who didn't believe me and all of that crap. I wish I could work. I have no money to do anything and no family. It's just me (and my cat) against the world. My room rental, which is going up to $650 a month in September costs about 65% of my income. I have no car because it was old and needed major repairs.

Now I have to start a GoFundMe for rent relief and rides to PT to so I can get both knees replaced. At $25 a pop for round-trip cab fare, I can't even do that. I can barely get to my other medical appointments. I'm 55, going on 305, but I'm trying to stay positive. Can't afford psychiatric care, either. :(

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our Newsletter

New Life Outlook on FacebookSubscribe with Facebook

OR